[plug] Headless server installation at workshop

Sibian isibian at bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 16 02:10:31 WST 2005

Hi all,

Ryan Armanasco got me all fired up about Linux, he put me in touch with
PLUG. He said you have all been really helpful and solved heaps of
problems for him. I attended the last PLUG workshop and liked what I
saw. I'm now looking at installing Debian on a 266 with 64M RAM as a
headless server. I started downloading Woody and then realised that it's
eight disks worth of download. I'm happy to keep going with it if that's
what I need for the installation. I won't be needing the X, so if
someone knows of a download minus the X that would be groovy.

I've been reading Sam's teach yourself Linux and I'll be writing out my
hardware profile for my machine before bringing it along. I've got time
before the next meeting to do some prep. Funds are limited, though the
passion's there. My aim is to use it as a firewall for my existing
machine. I've got a cable connection, a network between the two
machines, a switch box between them, a burner and I'm presently using XP
on my main machine.

I'm looking at moving my main machine over to a dual opperating system
through time (essential windows based applications through the bank).
For the moment I need to get used to using Linux. I figured setting up
this second machine and getting it stable would be a good first step.
That way I'm not playing with my main machine until I know how to solve
basic problems.

Any input in this is appreciated.

Sibian

Share what you have in abundance, grow and protect that which you need
more of.