[plug] Headless server installation at workshop

Sibian isibian at bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 16 07:45:24 WST 2005

Ryan wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 10:50 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>

>>There are people on this list that know much more about this than I do,
>>but my suggestion for the "headless server" (sounds like a headless
>>horseman, roaming about on full moonlit nights), if you  want it as just
>>a firewall, is to use Smoothwall, which runs on Debian Woody, and which
>>is accessed remotely using a web browser on another computer. If my
>>memory is correct, you just install a Smoothwall CD (or something like
>>that), and the underlying OS is included in the installation. It has a
>>small footprint, and no need for X-Windows, if my memory is correct.
>>
>>I suggest that you look for a response to my posting, with someone more
>>knowledgeable about Smoothwall, filling in some of the gaps, and
>>correcting any errors that I have made here.
>>

>Being the one that got him into this mess, I'll tender that he sticks
>with Debian, as he wants to learn about Linux.  Smoothwall is great for
>solving a problem, but it doesn't adequately feed a hungry brain.
>
>As for the original question, you only really need the first woody CD.
>Almost all the packages you'll need are on it and if they are not, you
>can easily download them when the time comes.
>
>Regards,
>
>Ryan

Thanks Ryan, thanks Brett,

I've got the first disk ready and I'll bring it with me to the workshop.
That  solves another  problem :-) . You're right about the hungry mind,
it's nice having a project like this that's worth getting involved in.
I'm sure in another setting smoothwall would have been a good option.
I'm looking forward to getting this up and having a play with it. It'll
put my mind at ease to know I've got a solid fire-wall in place. Then
I'll probably find a whole range of uses for it as a server as well. :-\

Sibs

Share what you have in abundance, grow & protect that which you need
more of.