[plug] Gateway NTP problems

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 17 09:39:36 WST 2005

ntpdate is deprecated - it doesnt do as good a job as the normal ntp
daemon so they have decided to drop it.

Options are to use the burst/iburst arguments to the ntp daemon (the
best way in my experience), force the initscripts to run ntpdate before
the daemon, or run the daemon as a single shot before running it full
time

The last is the reccomended replacement for ntpdate in cases where you
dont want to run the daemon full time.  If using a modem, check out the
huffenpuff option and set the step threshold to zero to make it work
nicely with high modem traffic profiles - works well.

I find pool.ntp.org of dubious value if working through an ISP - most
are so far away the delay/jitter is way above local time servers.
There's also the dns problem involved with multiple servers.  iinet is
more stable for local users, and when at work I use the murdoch/UWA
timeservers which are also very stable. (remember to only sync to
stratum 2 or lower)

BillK

>From man ntpdate  (ntpdate 4.2.0 at 1.1161-r)
"Disclaimer:  The functionality of this program is now available in the
ntpd program. See the -q command line option in the ntpd - Network Time
Protocol (NTP) daemon page.
       After a suitable period of mourning, the ntpdate program is to be
retired from this distribution"