[plug] Nero launches a version for Linux.

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Thu Mar 17 21:52:21 WST 2005

Bernd Felsche wrote:

>Most distros include K3b which doesn't exactly rate in nPa.
>So there's no lack of functional burning software.
>
>Nero has to bring significantly more at equal or better quality.

I don't agree.  Who do you think Ahead are targeting?  Current Linux
users?  Nope, I don't think so...  by offering it for free for users
with a full version of Nero for Windows means they are targeting their
customers who are currently Windows users.

What does Nero for Linux offer?  A consistent and familiar interface for
people who may be currently using Windows.  It also does something to
promote Linux as a viable option, because if customers of Ahead suddenly
see that their are offering a Linux version it perks interest in Linux
and makes people perhaps look again at the feasibility of a Linux desktop.

Saying that there is no need for Ahead to have released a Linux version
of Nero is stupid.  Its like saying we only need one distribution of
Linux.  There are mutiple distributions because they all do things a bit
different from another.  Its called choice.

/ Ben