[plug] Voice to the ATO

Sibian isibian at bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 23 08:43:22 WST 2005

Hi all,

Here's something to have a bit of fun with if you've got a bone to pick
with ATO web sites not being accessible through Mozilla. I got on the
phone today to a rep because the NEXT button wasn't showing up when I
hit their site through Mozilla.
http://pki.ato.gov.au/atocdia/welcome.htm I hit it through IE and found
that it popped up straight away. Interesting. I don't know enough about
what would prevent that from showing up, though I'm sure one of you will.

The rep I spoke with was quite nervous and has obviously had many people
asking him about this. Poor guy, not his fault he's in the firing line.
I feel that if someone can figure out the process involved in making
this button appear in IE but not Mozilla then we have a step towards
resolving this situation. Tactically if I was to try and limit certain
brousers from accessing a site I'd make the button only appear to
certain browsers.

I contacted them with the intention of finding out what steps they were
taking for this to be acessible in the future. For them to release this
product and not invest the extra funds and time to make it universally
accessible is a foolish step for them. Our voice is obviously becoming
considerable in this.

The official complaint e-mail address is ato-taxpayercomplaints at ato.gov.au

I advise sticking to the facts with complaints - it's not redily
accessible and I am lodging a request that it be made accessible to
______ browser. Technical detail here will really help strengthen our
voice. It does not function in this way...

Lets resolve this people. We are enough of a voice to make this
accessible. I don't like having IE on my machine and shouldn't need to.
I have a browser which works well and is secure.

Sibian