[plug] [OT] gigabyte

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 23 08:01:33 WST 2005

WolfBite <wolfbite_aus at yahoo.com> writes:

>Has anyone had any problems with asus or gigabyte motherboards?

Yes. But all manufacturers have problem boards; some more than
others.

>Only problem sofar has been the raid chip ite8212
>using it in standard ata mode works (patched kernel)

I've got several places using the ite8212 on 2.4.20 and 2.6.5
"patched" kernels. In RAID mode; mirror only in 3 locations and
stripe/mirror in another with *no* problem.

>but the raid seems to be bad (cant upgrade the ite bios, and speed
>is poor 46 ->54)

What figures are those? Units? Megabytes/second? Doing what?

Throughput isn't "brilliant" but then there are only IDE drives
after all. Throughput is no worse than single drive, AFAICT.