[plug] [OT] gigabyte

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Mar 23 15:15:00 WST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 23:05 -0800, WolfBite wrote:
> hdparm -Tt /dev/hda
>
> I dont use it as a definative (just quick and dirty) result
>
> craig: what do you get on your raid? (just as a comparision)

hdbucket:~# hdparm -Tt /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   1616 MB in  2.00 seconds = 806.11 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   88 MB in  3.12 seconds =  28.25 MB/sec

bucket:~# hdparm -Tt /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb:
 Timing cached reads:   1764 MB in  2.00 seconds = 881.69 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  114 MB in  3.18 seconds =  35.87 MB/sec

/dev/sda is RAID 1 over 2x80GB SATA disks, /dev/sdb is RAID 5 over 4
250GB disks. Both come out pretty slow - but they're not unloaded right
now, so that's while doing the odd other job as well. Measuring them
unloaded is not practical right now, but I think the info should appear
somewhere in the archives from a previous discussion.

It doesn't matter anyway, though. Throughput is usually much less
significiant than seek times etc. IIRC bonnie++ is pretty good for that;
there may be other more "standard" choices. bonnie++ brings this machine
to its knees - the load average goes above 70, and even small apps can
take multiple minutes to open. Performance under multi-user loads? Not
so hot.

--
Craig Ringer