[plug] USB backup - hardware suggestions

Jim Leven jleven at geoseis.com.au
Fri Mar 25 17:16:52 WST 2005

Dear Leon and others

Could you please offer some suggestions of the manufacturer/models that
you have found to be reliable.

Regards
JIm Leven

 >> Leon (and others) -- in your experience just how stable/reliable are
 >> the
 >> 200GB USB2 drives?   I have always been concerned about the physical
 >> handling side... drop a tape acidentally and no worries but drop a
 >> whole
 >> drive and Boom (tm).
 >>

 >> You can use much more expensive lappie drives (a 40GB lappie drive
 >> costs about
 >> the same as a 200GB not-lappie drive) but even those are far from
 >> invulnerable. I recommned simply being careful.
 >>
 >> OTOH a hard drive will typically survive being left on a dashboard
in >> the sun and a tape won't.

--

GeoSeis Pty Ltd
PO Box 250

Phone : + 61 - 8 - 9228 1564
Email : jleven at geoseis.com.au
Web   : www.geoseis.com.au

This message, any attachment and response string, are confidential
and may be legally privileged. It is intended only for the use of
the parties to whom it is addressed. If you are not the addressee
indicated in this message, please notify the sender immediately by
reply email and destroy this message.

All information and attachments remain the property of GeoSeis Pty Ltd.