[plug] NTP update problems - dialup

Gavin Rogers grogers at vk6hgr.echidna.id.au
Tue Mar 29 17:13:58 WST 2005

At 10:25 AM 29/03/2005, you wrote:
>Once again I'm having problems getting synchronisation with a time
>server. What I have down is right a small script and put it in
>/etc/ppp/ip-up.d/ so that it is run last (so all the routing stuff is done.)
>The script is as follows.
>#!/bin/sh
>
>((echo "Updating Time";date; sleep 1; /usr/sbin/ntpdate -u -d -v
>pool.ntp.org 2>&1; echo $?;date) | mail -s "Updating Time" webmaster) &

Seems to be an awfully complex way to solve the problem. Why not just use
ntpd and stop/start it when your dialup connection is active? (you could
probably leave it going all the time but ntpd can take ages to realise it's
peers are available again)

Regards,

---
       Gavin Rogers                     |  Amateur radio station VK6HGR
     http://www.livingwaters.com/good   |     http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
     ICQ: 17230395  MSN: VK6HGR  Skype/Email: grogers at vk6hgr.echidna.id.au