[plug] dual layer dvd

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Wed Mar 30 16:49:35 WST 2005

garry wrote:
> Hypothetically, I have a couple of kids who love to play their Bananas
> DVD.....
>
> Is it possible to back up a DVD [without bothering with dvdcss or xVid
> etc] to a dual layer DVD writer so the kids only use the DVD[+/-]R in
> the DVD player?
>
> My hypothetical Bananas DVD[+/-]R is not for distribution.
>
> Can I do this with dd?

Dispensing with the hypothetical stuff (As far as I'm concerned this is a fair use issue, and your
use sounds fair to me)...

You will have issues doing it this way as your dd image will be encrypted, but your shiny new backup
won't have keys on it to decrypt the image.

Seriously. Grab growisofs and vobcopy.
Use vobcopy to rip-decrypt the disk and growisofs to write the image to a shiny new backup. Dead
easy and problem solved.

I use vobcopy to store my dvd's on my entertainment server so I don't have to keep swapping disks
when I want to watch something. It takes a complete image of the original "sans encryption" and
leaves it in a perfect xine navigable format that could also be burned straight back to another disk
(if you have a DL player, which I don't).

Legal or not, I can't stand someone telling me what I can and can't do with a "product" I have paid
good money for. It's not a license, it's a physical thing I hold in my hand.

Brad