[plug] Simple bandwidth throttling

Matthew Lambie mlambie at thefrontiergroup.com.au
Thu Mar 31 10:33:28 WST 2005

Good Morning all,

I sit on a 512/512 ADSL link at work, and have found that running a
daily "apt-get dist-upgrade" on my Ubuntu Hoary laptop saturates the
link to a point that SSH is unresponsive :(

Does anyone know of a simple app (if it's packaged for Ubuntu you get
cred++) that will allow me to throttle bandwidth in a similar way to
wget's "--limit=20k" capabilities? Perhaps I can pipe the dist-upgrade
command to it with a limit flag?

Alternatively, could an iptables rule rate-limit connections to web/ftp
servers?

I don't need a full QoS setup - I just want to limit a single shell
command, and even then only sometimes.

--

Thanks,

Matthew Lambie