[plug] A plan for spam spiders.

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Sun May 8 09:09:32 WST 2005

On Sunday 08 May 2005 08:44, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-05-07 at 19:09 +0800, Shayne O'Neill wrote:
> > Hmm. So the question here, is then how do I coax apache to serve a gz
> > file as gz encrypted html file? I'd like to test this.
>
> First, install/enable mod_gzip.
>
> After mod_gzip is running happily, the client tells Apache it accepts
> gzip-encoded pages in the request headers, and Apache complies.
>
> See:
> http://www.sitepoint.com/article/web-output-mod_gzip-apache
> or any other of hundreds of Google hits for more info.

If I've read that correctly, doesn't mod_gzip compress on-the-fly, so in
Shayne's case he would need to have the original uncompressed mega-html file
on his disk, which mod_gzip would then compress every time before sending?

Steve

--
Ph: +61 8 97560662, IP-Phone: FWD# 454566, e164.org# 61897560662

"Most men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most pick themselves
up and continue on as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill