[plug] A plan for spam spiders.

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun May 8 16:53:39 WST 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-08 at 16:28 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-05-08 at 09:09 +0800, Steve Boak wrote:
>
> > If I've read that correctly, doesn't mod_gzip compress on-the-fly, so in
> > Shayne's case he would need to have the original uncompressed mega-html file
> > on his disk, which mod_gzip would then compress every time before sending?
>
> That's a very good point. I wouldn't particularly want to have to
> regularly compress 1GB streams on the fly, though it probably wouldn't
> actually be too bad.
>
> I have absolutely no idea how to send a pre-compressed file.

Apache 2, at least as shipped in Sarge, appears smart enough to just
send off a gzipped page if it finds one. I can create a file
'test.html.gz' and request it as 'test.html' or 'test.html.gz' .
Unfortunately it seems (by looking at the traffic in ethereal) to
decompress it first - perhaps you need to do something differently to
get it to send compressed on supporting browsers.

Ethereal shows that my browser is sending an appropriate
Accept-Encoding: header, so it should be able to get gzipped content. No
ideal.

--
Craig Ringer