[plug] "Hyper-Threading, suffers from a serious security flaw,"

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sun May 15 11:11:48 WST 2005

On some types of very specific server type tasks HT can actually hurt
performance - as much as 30% on figures Ive seen on one test
(bioinformatics databases).  Has to do with the fact its a psuedo 2 cpu
setup with one short and one long pipeline: blocking where time is
wasted seems to be the cause.  However, on an average desktop system HT
has some nice advantages in improving responsiveness.  Lots on google.

BillK

On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 22:45 +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> On 5/14/05, Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham.com.au> wrote:
> > Intel Xeons come with HT. I've seen those in a lot of servers :)
> Are you sure?
> I've never seen a Xeon with HT..
> I couldn't image anyone taking HT seriously for a server purpose...

Home!