[plug] new CUPS exploit or an old one?

Mark O'Shea mark at musicalstoat.co.uk
Mon May 16 13:56:35 WST 2005

On Mon, May 16, 2005 1:31 pm, Gavin Chester said:
> I'll have to take your word on that because my network knowledge is low.
> However, how does that fit with my observation given before that (quote
> self) 1/ Nobody was sat in front of any PC on the LAN at the time and no
> jobs were spooled for printing (... and despite that) ... AFAIK CUPS
> would not run from an outside IP for local printing and any machine
> using CUPS locally would only use the local IP designated to this PC of
> 192.168.0.254, surely? (end quote).
>
> Maybe this whole episode is part of CUPS workings that remains a mystery
> to me?
>
> Regards, Gavin.

CUPS does send out broadcasts for browsing if it is acting as a server,
see the BrowseAddress directive in the config file and the documentation.

Why would cups choose one IP on a machine to listen on and not another?
Have you set it to only use the internal IP?  I'm afraid I don't have your
setup to examine to find an answer to that.

--
Mark O'Shea