[plug] CD read errors

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Mon May 16 19:30:14 WST 2005

On Mon, 16 May 2005, quoth Cameron Patrick:

> Also, if you find that your image _is_ missing a bit, using the
> command-line tool `readcd` with the option to read one sector at a
> time will often (slowly!) extract data off discs which are otherwise
> hard to read, or which dd conks out on at the end.

Another thing I can suggest, when dealing with things like Linux ISO
images (and other things which are freely available via rsync) is to use
readcd (or even dd) to read as much as you can from the CD (usually only
the last few sectors give errors) and then use rsync against one of the
public mirrors to "fix" the image - which will only take a few minutes,
and will use negligible bandwidth.

 - Matt