[plug] Fedora Core 3 update

Gavin Chester gavinchester1 at hotmail.com
Mon May 16 21:35:37 WST 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 21:01 +0800, Daniel Pearson wrote:

-snip-

>  I run FC3 on a PII 450
> > Xeon as my a dual-purpose workstation / K12LTSP server, albeit with
> 1Gb
> > of RAM.  I even used KDE 3.1 for a short time (out of habit), but
> > happily converted to Xfce4 because things would bog down a bit after
> > long uptimes. That drag doesn't happen with Xfce4, so I'm sold on
> it.
> >
> > Regards, Gavin.
> >

> Very nice, I like the sound of that :-)
>
> Is it something that can be chosen during install, or will I need to
> just
> select no WM, and then manually install it (using YUM or some such
> thing)
>
> Cheers
> Daniel

Gee, I don't know - it just seemed to "be there" (TM) after a full
install of FC3.  At the time, I also made sure I put in most developer
packages (for a big range of apps) so I could build extras later from
source without too many dependency hassles.

Once you have Xfce4 installed, use the Fedora "extras" repos to keep
Xfce4 updated with yum.  You might also want to look into adding the
"Xfce4-goodies" packages for nice little utilities to put on your
taskbar (http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=910)
but these aren't available with yum.

If you have great trouble getting both Xfce & Xfce4-goodies there is
also a graphical installer for both available here:
http://www.os-cillation.com/article.php?sid=42
though I didn't ahve much luck getting both installers to run and ended
up building the "goodies" from source.  HTH.

Regards, Gavin