[plug] Satellite links?

Matthew Lambie mlambie at thefrontiergroup.com.au
Wed May 18 11:35:44 WST 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 10:51 +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> Does anyone here have much to do with sat-link Internet connections?
> In particular what sort of behaviour to expect from them, reliability
> costs, speeds and best providers.
> One of my customers are having "issue's" with Telstra's service. I'd
> like to see what we can do about it.

I used Newsat when I was in Kalgoorlie at Diggers 'n' Dealers. They were
showing off their services and provided us (the tech guys) with some
gear to play with.

In the end, the ADSL link Telstra gave us was enough bandwidth, so I
flogged their satellite link with some torrents.

They were actually showing of VoIP stuff if I recall, and it worked a
treat. I was surprised.

Of course, latency is the killer with satellite feeds, in terms of
behaviour.
--

Thanks,

Matthew Lambie