[plug] wanted - 2nd hand Skymedia 200D DVB card

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Fri May 20 13:03:29 WST 2005

On Friday 20 May 2005 11:11, Onno Benschop wrote:
> Steve Boak wrote:
[snip]

> I'm surprised to hear of your negative experience with their telephone
> support, I've had nothing but great service. Last week I finished
> setting up a gateway box using a 2.4.27 kernel, a SkyMedia card,
> tellique, ppp and a bridging router to link Ethernet and wireless - I
> get to install it next week - we'll see how well it really works :-)

My reports of Bordernet also wary wildly. Several other people have told me
they have been excellent, maybe I am an unusual case :-)

I think that maybe we (as the WA Telecentre group) have been assigned a
contact person who is absolutely run off his feet, and since he knows very
little about Linux, doesn't know what to do with us. However, I have bypassed
him and got to someone who knows what he is talking about :-)

I actually have had the whole system working intermittently with the original
Pentavalue card (which I already had for the Westnet connection on Pas8), but
it was unreliable with the tellique software. It topped out at 385KBytes/sec
on one test I did (through Bordernet), so if it would work for more than a
couple of minutes it would have been great. Apparently the Pentavalue card
has some issues with multicast(?) mode at high data rates on the newer
satellites - Optus C1 in this case.

> As for getting a card, BorderNet should be able to help you there,
> seeing that the card is a pretty common occurrence on a 1-way satellite
> link.

Bordernet is sending one over, but I need a second for another Telecentre. I
should be able to get another from them if needed. I just thought if anyone
here wanted to unload one from their junk pile...

> There are many gotcha's on the way to success, it took me about three
> days and I'm still to be convinced that this wireless card actually
> works, but with a few recompiles it all came out in the end.

> Make sure that you also get a copy of tellique from them because you'll
> need it to actually route packets across the link :-)

Got it already :-)

Onno, are you using a static IP with Bordernet? They want to charge me
$35/month for a static IP, whereas I was paying Westnet $25/year for the same
thing. So far I have refused to cough up, but that means our webserver is
currently unavailable from the outside world.

Thanks

Steve

--
Ph: +61 8 97560662, IP-Phone: FWD# 454566, e164.org# 61897560662

"Most men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most pick themselves
up and continue on as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill