[plug] Debian update issue

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu May 26 10:41:47 WST 2005

Hello.

This week, I did a Debian Sarge update using Synaptic, after two weeks
without updating, and things went wonky with my system. I also had used
Opera, which had prompted me to upgrade to version 8.0, which I declined
as I wanted to use the application at the time.

Due to the way that my system operates, apparently without releasing
memory when applications are closed, I rebooted, then when I next logged
in, only one of the web browsers worked - konqueror, and Mozilla and
galeon and epiphany did not work and had to be reinstalled, and Opera no
longer can be installed to run, coming up with an error message when
attempted to be run from a command line.

There were also two instances of Synaptic present in the menu, after the
system update, and not before the system update, again with the apprent
eastern bloc language inclusions, and only one of the two instances of
Synaptic in the menu, worked. At first I thought that the system update
had involved some security breach from the eastern bloc, with the
apparent sudden inclusion of the eastern bloc languages of which I had
not previously been aware.

When I looked at the advanced tab for properties for the web browser
applications, there appeared to be russian and chinese and polish
language inclusions, that I do not recall seeing before, apart from the
opera one, which had no language inclusions.

I have tried to send the error message from the opera problem, when
running the command from the command line, to a file so that I can post
the error message to the list, but the error message displays on the
screen and the filethat was generated, is empty.

I have also just had a system crash, while trying to reply to an email
message (after Mozilla crashed).

Was there something unusual or wonky with the latest Debian Sarge
updates, this week?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale