[plug] Mac networking

Patrick Tehvand patrick at tehvand.com
Mon May 30 14:52:23 WST 2005

Senectus . wrote:
> Have any if you guys ever network G4 mac laptops?
> Is there any particular tricks to getting it working with a 2003 domain?
> I've never had to use macs before and now I have to make three of them
> work on a 2003 SBS Domain... :-/ File sharing and printing being the
> most important.

Yup. Have 40 of them running at school not to mention my own ibook.

Easiest trap to fall into is if the AD domain is a *.local domain.
Rendesvous (now Bonjour) uses .local as it's addressing scheme. To fix
that just follow the instructions at

If you want them to join the domain use the dsconfig command:
dsconfigad -a clientname -u username -p password -ou "distinguished name
of ou or container" -forest fully_qualified_forest -domain
fully_qualified_domain
This can also be done using the domain tool in the
Applications/Utilities folder.

Connecting to shares is simple just apple + k then type in
smb://server/share, authenticate and robert is your mother's brother.

Printing is accessed through the Printer and Fax area of System
preferences and you should be able to either add a windows printer or an
ip printer from there.

Feel free to contact me off list to assist further.

Patrick

--
Patrick Tehvand
IT Manager Carey Baptist College