[plug] Strange LDAP issues

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Tue May 31 10:21:13 WST 2005

Ok, So it appears that I have some of the LDAP working now.
I can login as a user in LDAP.
The problem was here in the pam_ldap.conf file
---
# The distinguished name to bind to the server with
# if the effective user ID is root. Password is
# stored in /etc/ldap.secret (mode 600)
rootbinddn cn=admin,dc=white,dc=lan
---
I needed to comment out the rootbinddn part.

Ok, now I have a few more problems. Firstly groups.
family is an LDAP group. dwhite and rwhite are ldap users, tim is a
flat file user.
$ getent group family
family:x:10000:
/home$ vdir
drwxr-xr-x   2 dwhite   10000  4096 2005-05-31 10:17 dwhite
drwxr-xr-x  15 rwhite   10000  4096 2005-05-30 20:19 rwhite
drwxr-xr-x  31 tim    tim      4096 2005-05-31 10:16 tim
dwhite at camiroi:~$ groups
id: cannot find name for group ID 10000
10000
---
As you can see group names aren't being resolved even though nss sees
it fine afaiks.

Also I'd like away to add ldap users to standard unix groups. For
example tim is in  'dialout cdrom floppy audio dip video scanner' and
I'd like all users to be in that group. Is there an easy way to do
this without adding each user?

Thanks

Tim