[plug] [OT| growing VOIP -> POTS spam problem

Gavin Chester gavinchester1 at hotmail.com
Tue May 31 18:19:09 WST 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 17:20 +0800, Chris Caston wrote:
> Has anyone else got to the point where you cringe before answering calls
> that just come up as "overseas" on the CND screen?
>
> regards,
>
> Chris
>
> __________

SNAP! Kill all telemarketers ;-)

One of the benefits of calling-number-display is that all these numbers
come up with "unavailable" showing they're an overseas call.  I had long
ago got to the point where I ignore them entirely.  Then recently jsut
for fun I answer and wait long enough for the telemarketer to try to
talk and then hang up just as they say hello.  That's nasty, but that's
how pi$$ed off I've become.  My call ID logs show an average of around
six/mth for most of this year alone.

My methods came back to bite me in the bum, though.  A good friend
recently moved to NZ for a year and tried to call us.  I hung up on her
(only the once) before I was told my mistake!  I now listen long enough
to tell whether it's her or telemarketing :-0

Gavin