[plug] Turning an out of date PC into a linux home entertainment thingymabob?

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Tue Nov 1 23:05:04 WST 2005

On Monday 31 October 2005 12:18, Senectus . wrote:
> I heard a rumour that they're Linux based as well...

Speaking of which, I was discussing Linux with a photocopier tech
recently. His line of photocopiers comes with an optional little gadget
which speeds up and improves the look of printed colour graphics
(basically by rendering the images and such out between the PC and the
copier rather than depending on the PC to fsck them up slowly).

The old ones ran Linux. The new ones do not. The manufacturer will not
confess the new OS. Stop me if any of this starts to sound familiar...

 * the Linux version can be switched off at any time, without warning;

 * the notLinux version can require a wipe and reinstall if switched
   off without being properly shut down first;

 * the notLinux version is shipped "not completely installed";

 * when the notLinux unit is first switched on, it must be given ten
   uninterrupted minutes to finish self-installing; if not, it can
   _irrepairably_ trash itself.

I'm awaiting reports from the feild of the Blue Page Of Death...

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia