[plug] Turn avi into mpg or mpeg ??

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 00:32:44 WST 2005

On 11/4/05, Mike Holland <myk.list at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> Senectus . wrote:
>
> >>no worries. Play it with mplayer, and send the text output,
> >>which will give the codecs, etc.
> >>It should be easy to fix.
> >

> > "Send the text output" ??
>
> Implied indirect object. To me. Or to the list. It'll tell us what kind
> of video you have. Do you have mencoder installed? It'll convert from
> just about anything.
>    The safest kind of format to generate is MPEG-1, as anything will
> play it, but the resolution is low.

Ok, in a terminal, run mplayer and the file. Then when it starts
playing, stop it, close mplayer, and there should be some output in
the console. Send us that.

If you can play it with mplayer, you can convert it with mencoder. The
man page has examples. Otherwise, play the file you need to convert,
and the one that works, send us the console output (as i said above)
and someone (or me) should be able to give you command line options
for mencoder that will work.

Tim
(I've just finished producing my first DVD under Linux! It's not that
hard actually!)