[plug] [OT] Keyboard dongles

Jonathan Young jonathan at pcphix.com
Mon Nov 7 12:18:54 WST 2005

Denis Brown wrote:

> At 11:52 AM 7/11/2005, simon wrote:
>
>> Hey all
>>
>> Sorry once again for the OT, but Ive hunted and cant find much.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a design for a ps/2 keyboard dongle? I want to
>> fool some
>> old boxes into thinking they have a keyboard at boot time.
>

> Not possible to fool it in the BIOS?  I've seen this (keyboardless
> operation) in some IBM BIOS's.
>
> Denis

Just about every PC I've seen has a setting in the BIOS to the effect of
"halt on" with options such as all errors, all but disk, all but
keyboard etc.

Simply choose the option that excludes the keyboard from POST error
checking and it will go with a keyboard present.

After that it will depend on your OS as to whether or not they complain
about a lack of keyboard - some versions of Windows this may be an
issue, but for current OSes, I can't think of any that will care.

Changing the BIOS value is generally all that is required.

--
Jonathan Young
Director of PC-PHIX
jonathan at pcphix.com