[plug] FoIP - 21st century faxing

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Wed Nov 9 16:58:29 WST 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 12:03, Chris Caston wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 13:50, Leon Brooks wrote:
> > On Tuesday 18 October 2005 10:54, Chris Caston wrote:
> > > I need to get a fax number myself
> >
> > Why? I've never needed one. On the once-a-year occasions when someone
> > wants to send me a fax, I ask someone else and use theirs.
> >
> > Cheers; Leon
>
>  * I'm signing up as a reseller and they want me to have a fax number.
> * Sometimes companies want you to fax things through with your
> signature.
> * Sometimes you get a baby boomer on the line that doesn't know how to
> use e-mail.
> * Sensis put my whitepages directory charges on the wrong phone bill and
> want me to fax back a a page with a letter head asking them to fix it
> * I feel unprofessional when I have to tell people I don't have a fax
>
> * I have to support customers that use faxes (and sometimes commander
> equipment and usually ADSL as well) so should learn a bit about them
> myself
>
> * I want to play around with FoIP
>
> Anyway I finally caved in and bought a Samsung SF-5100 laser fax. I
> haven't taken it out of the box yet.
>
> regards,
>
> Chris

And so far its been quite useful. I made a sale today thanks to being
able to fax out a quote.

A strange thing happens with it that I hear broadcast radio when its
plugged into the phone line and I pick-up the handset.

Still haven't figured out what to do about the parallel printer port and
if its possible to enable it.

regards,

Chris