[plug] Opensource groupware STILL SUCKS!

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Wed Nov 9 18:28:45 WST 2005

Wednesday, 9 November 2005 16:41, Mr Shayne wrote:
> So we are back at square one. kolab , which has to be one of the most
> invasive packages I've seen, may be one of the few that'll work, if
> you are prepared to pony $50+ for the connectors, and btw, these
> connectors do *NOT* provide a full mapi backend, just a sync
> facility. Citadel is back on the border despite being probably the
> most competant server out there but clientless (except for aethera).
> But Aethera is still stuck in the stone age. Evolution is still
> strictly linux/bsd. chandler is still a joke. the connectors all
> suck. Sun seems to of given up on ever getting glow to work (The web
> page at sun still says 0.2 alpha will be out reaaal soon now late
> 2003 or something , but probably not that) and ah man. what a mess!

On the client side, I find Kontact to be one of the most competent but
frequently overlooked solutions (keeping in mind, of course, that
everyone has different requirements). It supports both Kolab and
Citadel as well as a bunch of others, including partial support (as in
"it kinda works", not as in making official endorsements) for MS
Exchange.

Kontact reportedly runs under Cygwin, and Klarälvdalens Datakonsult is
working on a proper port for legacy MS Windows.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/