[plug] These prices are HOT

Jonathan Young jonathan at pcphix.com
Thu Nov 10 14:45:33 WST 2005

Just wondering...

Your point is that even "MEGA Microsoft Office OEM Blitz" prices are
still more expensive from your Perth Wholesale contact than a copy of
Star Office would be any day of the week and that therefore OpenSource /
GNU GPL licenced software would be a better choice, right?

I agree.  In fact, I don't think anyone here would need to be told that
switching your organisation to Linux and StarOffice/OpenOffice would
save money (provided you can support these products). Time and again I
have recommended Linux and StarOffice and saved thousands for my clients
without there being any real downside or compromises made.

However, there are still many customers who WANT Microsoft Office for one
reason or another, those who use it so heavily that the Open Source
alternatives still aren't quite right etc. etc.

Given that PLUG comments / posts are published publicly online and often
show up in Google searches, is it wise to be publishing our cost prices?
Worse, limited special offer cost prices?

We need those margins in order to support the M$ products we sell!
Afterall, Microsoft OEM licensing effectively puts the responsibilty of
after sales support onto the reseller (me for example) and there is
already so much competition in Perth that prices are constantly screwed
down to near cost without Joe Public KNOWING what we paid... just a
thought!

If you were to publish XYZ Wholesale's specials on a regular basis or
email their Wholesale pricelist to all your friends I doubt they would
be thrilled as it doesn't do the retail market a lot of good. If we
can't convince a customer to buy better value products from alternative
sources, then we need to maintain our margins in order to afford to
provide the support for Microsofts products and any shortcomings they
may contain.

/rant

Jonathan Young
Director of PC-PHIX