[plug] These prices are HOT

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Thu Nov 10 23:48:54 WST 2005

Thursday, 10 November 2005 20:30, garry wrote:
> >Of course, you do realise that anecdotal evidence is not a very good
> >statistical indicator and that it fails to say much, if anything,
> > about risk, for example.
>
> I don't know about that... Anecdotal evidence is used in a few fields
> - insurance actuarialism and climate forecasting both are sophiscated
> statistical operations that jump to mind....

I believe you're thinking of empirical evidence, not anecdotal evidence.
If climate forecasting were based on anecdotal evidence, we'd be
worried about global warming because "the winters aren't as cold as I
remember them being when I was a child". Come to think of it, maybe
you're right.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/