[plug] deleting stuff in batches

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Fri Nov 11 13:37:45 WST 2005

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 01:03:40PM +0800, Richard Meyer wrote:
> "man find" also says that find . -name '*.wma' -delete
> will work.
>
> Whether that is faster than the xargs way, I don't know, but I suspect
> it gets called once per file, but it may not have the overhead of the
> "exec".
>
> It also says that find . -name "*.wma" -exec rm {} +
> will work.
> from the man page:

What version of find are you using?  This is what happens here (debian
sarge):

  $ mkdir tmp/foo
  $ cd tmp/foo
  $ touch a b c
  $ find . -type f -delete
  find: invalid predicate `-delete'
  $ find . -type f -exec echo rm '{}' +
  find: missing argument to `-exec'
  $ find . -type f -exec echo rm '{}' + \;
  rm ./a +
  rm ./b +
  rm ./c +
  $ find --version
  GNU find version 4.1.20
  $

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
"You should, without hesitation, pound your typewriter into a plowshare,
your paper into fertilizer, and enter agriculture"
		-- Business Professor, University of Georgia