[plug] HDD Erasure

Stuart Midgley stuart.midgley at ivec.org
Sun Nov 13 08:38:40 WST 2005

You need to be really careful using /dev/urandom like this.  The
kernel uses all sorts of inputs to generate these random numbers and
you can "run out".  Especially if you set the system going erasing
and then go away for a coffee/dinner etc.  Without keyboard/mouse/
network activity your numbers can become very un-random and the call
can even block waiting on more input events).

I would strongly suggest using a downloaded package which tend to
have random number generates built in.  These use a few inputs (/dev/
urandom time of day etc) to generate an unknown seed and should be
good for a large number of random numbers.  Google is your friend here.

If your going to use dd to erase a disk, you should use a larger
block size to make it go faster

	dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=8192k

Stu.

--