[plug] Installing ubuntu on ITC 350-I

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz_g at arach.net.au
Mon Nov 14 12:17:04 WST 2005

Chris Caston wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 08:26, Tomasz Grzegurzko wrote:
>
>>All I could really recommend is install it and get it up and running
>>with 2.4 if that works. Then self-compile a 2.6 kernel (minimal,
>>failsafe) and keep going to try and boot in to it until something
>>breaks.
>

> Good idea. How many options am I likely to need to play with though?

I'd keep it as basic as possible. Only enable stuff like your IDE
controllers, file systems, even chop out network cards and the like. See
if your problem is with base-line 2.6. Then build the rest as modules.
Boot in to it, if you're okay, great!. Build the rest up as modules, and
just selectively insmod/modprobe stuff until something goes kaboom.
Thats two reboots (theoretically)..

>> Then you've found your problem. Alternatively, a later version
>>of the kernel than whats in ubuntu may have already fixed the problem
>>(ie. a kernel from kernel.org rather than from ubuntu's source trees).
>>

> Worth a shot. I'll try the pre-made kernel images first though.

You can always try =)

>>Just guessing it sounds like its putting some hardware support (from the
>>initrd maybe) thats causing lock ups. But without info on what its
>>

> Way to verbose or log it perhaps?

I seem to recall ubuntu uses a boot parameter of "quiet"
I'd try booting from the CD with
linux debug

(I think thats the correct arg to make it spew out lots of stuff about
what it is doing..).