[plug] smb client timeout problem - FIXED

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Nov 15 14:58:56 WST 2005

Steve Boak wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 01:35 am, Ian Kent wrote:
>[...]
>

>>>(Note that all my tests were done with at least kernel 2.6.13, Samba
>>>3.0.20b, and Debian Testing on both machines)
>>>
>>>Linux client	mount -t cifs ...	shares from Samba server
>>>Linux client	mount -t smbfs ...	shares from Windows-2000
>>>Windows client	uses smbfs?	shares from Samba server
>>>

>>Interesting to see that this is still a problem in 2.6.13.
>>Have you tried 2.6.14?
>>

>share 'tmp' is on 'shuttle', a win2000-pro desktop, 'min' is the Linux client:
>
>min:/home/steve$ uname -a
>Linux min 2.6.14.1 #1 PREEMPT Fri Nov 11 23:19:55 WST 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
>
>min:/home/steve$ mount -t cifs -o username=steve //shuttle/tmp /mnt/tmp
>mount error: could not find target server. TCP name shuttle/tmp not found
>No ip address specified and hostname not found

Odd that it appears to be trying to resolve the name 'shuttle/tmp' .
Have you tried:

mount -t cifs -o user=steve '\\shuttle\tmp' /mnt/tmp

?

Note that according to `man mount.cifs' the user name is specified as
user= not username= (though if you use a credentials file, it contains
username= ... weird ).

Also, have you tried a DNS-based or IP-based UNC path like
'\\shuttle.localnet\tmp' or '\\192.168.1.2\tmp' ?

>I didn't test any further as I can do all I want with either smbfs or cifs,
>depending on whether I want to connect to windows or Samba shares
>respectively.

The kernel folks seem to be planning on yanking smbfs real soon now, so
I'd strongly recommend reporting problems sooner rather than later.

Hm, that reminds me, I still need to test to see if the latest version
of cifs (with "legacy server support") will talk to the NT4 at work.

--
Craig Ringer