[plug] smb client timeout problem - FIXED

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Wed Nov 16 12:33:29 WST 2005

OK, some more test results:

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 02:58 pm, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Steve Boak wrote:
[..]
> >min:/home/steve$ mount -t cifs -o username=steve //shuttle/tmp /mnt/tmp
> >mount error: could not find target server. TCP name shuttle/tmp not found
> >No ip address specified and hostname not found
>
> Odd that it appears to be trying to resolve the name 'shuttle/tmp' .
> Have you tried:
>
> mount -t cifs -o user=steve '\\shuttle\tmp' /mnt/tmp

min:/home/steve$ mount -t cifs -o user=steve '\\shuttle\tmp' /mnt/tmp
mount error: could not find target server. TCP name shuttle/tmp not found
No ip address specified and hostname not found

but:

min:/home/steve$ nmblookup shuttle
querying shuttle on 192.168.1.255
192.168.1.18 shuttle<00>

shuttlemin:/home/steve$ ping shuttle
ping: unknown host shuttle

so cifs is trying to resolve 'shuttle' via DNS rather than WINS, and failing.
Must fix that (my DNS that is :-)

> Note that according to `man mount.cifs' the user name is specified as
> user= not username= (though if you use a credentials file, it contains
> username= ... weird ).

Tested '-o user=steve' and '-o username=steve', and both work.
So does '-o userxxxx=steve' :-) Mount (cifsd?) is probably only checking if
the first four characters eq 'user'.
Just for fun, '-o usexxxx' does not work. As expected.

> Also, have you tried a DNS-based or IP-based UNC path like
> '\\shuttle.localnet\tmp' or '\\192.168.1.2\tmp' ?

Using IP addresses:

min:/home/steve$ mount -t cifs -o user=steve '\\192.168.1.18\tmp' /mnt/tmp
Password:
and
min:/home/steve$ mount -t cifs -o user=steve //192.168.1.18/tmp /mnt/tmp
Password:

Both work OK.

> The kernel folks seem to be planning on yanking smbfs real soon now, so
> I'd strongly recommend reporting problems sooner rather than later.

Where's the 'right' place to report this, if it really is a bug, not just a
misconfiguration of my DNS?

> Hm, that reminds me, I still need to test to see if the latest version
> of cifs (with "legacy server support") will talk to the NT4 at work.
>
> Craig Ringer

Thanks Craig.

--
Steve Boak, P.O. Box 240, Nannup, WA 6275
Nannup Telecentre IT support, ph (08) 9756 3022