[plug] cannot boot server

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Wed Nov 16 13:45:57 WST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 12:50 +0800, Jon Miller wrote:
> I have a Debian server (woody) that cannot boot completely (only gets up to LI).
> We had a UPS failure this morning and all servers came down.  On reboot all went up except this one, which happens to be the mail NS for customers.  Our backup is up and running.
> Like to know how do I fix this?  I can access the partitions /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda3 (states /dev/hda2 may be a swap partition) all files look okay on the other partitions.
> What do I need to do next.
>
> I've noticed that my emails are bouncing back stating "access denied".
>
> Thanks

What I would do is - boot from a rescue disk or Knoppix, or ....

Run fsck on whichever partitions are required (I'll assume
it's /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda3).

#mkdir /mnt/tmp
#mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/tmp    (assuming the fsck went ok and the root
partition is /dev/hda1)
#chroot /mnt/tmp /bin/bash   (chroot into the root partition)
#lilo          (rewrite the lilo boot loader)
#sync;sync;sync
#exit
#reboot

It's worth a try

There are II types of people - those who can count like Romans and
those who can't.

Linux Counter user #306629