[plug] Bloody Telstra

Shannon Carver Shannon.Carver at P-S-T.COM.AU
Wed Nov 16 14:07:03 WST 2005

Many share your sentiments guys....

http://whirlpool.net.au/article.cfm/1565?show=replies

That's in response to telstra's move to install fibre to the node, and
not let other carriers use the new network.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces at plug.org.au [mailto:plug-bounces at plug.org.au] On
Behalf Of Alex Polglaze
Sent: Wednesday, 16 November 2005 1:44 PM
To: plug at plug.org.au; billk at iinet.net.au
Subject: Re: [plug] Bloody Telstra

W.Kenworthy wrote:
> Cable penetration in Perth is quite low. Even Shepperton Road which is
> near inner city lost its cable some time back when power went
> underground.  So we need satellite for foxtel.  Cable looks like its
for
> inner Melbourne/Sydney and few other select areas only.
>
> I think the near future might be WiFi meshes if roaming/coverage can
be
> sorted out.  Perhaps the Perth FreeNet might form the core of
something
> like this ...

Telstra was doing some major work on our aging copper a couple of months
ago. I actually
thought that they were finally putting in fibre optic, so I asked the
installers.

Their response almost floored me.

He said that we would never get fibre optic here as Telstra had
basically stopped rolling
it out and everything would be going wireless.

Alex
PLUG discussion list: plug at plug.org.au