[plug] [OT] Sony malware on Windows

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Fri Nov 18 10:43:36 WST 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 10:40, Kai Jones wrote:
> Chris Caston wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 10:24, Kai Jones wrote:
> >> Sorta the same info written in a different way at this URL:
> >> http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=997
> >
> > There's also something about LGPL violations and the inclusion of VLCs
> > libdvdcss or something similar.
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Chris
> >

> This ?
> http://hack.fi/~muzzy/sony-drm/

Yes:

"ECDPlayerControl.ocx

Infringes copyrights on LGPL and GPL code, does things illegal under
DMCA and EUCD

The party just keeps on going. In addition to above mentioned LAME code
found here, it appears there's GPL code as well. I'm not a lawyer, but
this could be a DMCA/EUCD violation too? The code in question is VLC's
demux/mp4/drms.c -- the de-DRMS code which circumvents Apple's DRM. The
control flow is the same, the constants are equal, the two magic arrays
are equivalent as well. This includes the p_secret2 string which is
rot13'd Apply copyright string (used as data).
"