[plug] Possible faults in Mandriver 2006

simon simon at chrome64.org
Fri Nov 18 11:50:46 WST 2005

John and Susan Foster (johnfoster at aapt.net.au) wrote:

> I have this month installed Mandriver 2006 (4 CD's).
>
> Things that worked on Mandrake 10.1 do not work.
> Faults identified to date are:
> 1    Kmail will not send or receive;

hmmmm, dont use it, cant help you there.

Check your settings I guess.

> 2    There is apparently a fault in the mouse pointer in some menus on the screen;

How so? can you provide screenshots or a more lengthy description?

> 3    The upgrade package manager does not work properly.

I had some issues with this, I was getting kernel panics whenever it tried to
access the CD. I reinstalled and the issue went away. Quite possibly my
hardware is on its way out, its several centuries old.

> Somewhere in trying to get something going, while in terminal command mode, I got a
> message to say that I had release 2006 (official) for i586 and Kernal 2.6.12-12mdk on an
> i686/tty1.
>
> If the kernal works only on an i686, then the problem could be down to my pentium which
> is an Intell Pentium III (coppermine) Family 6 stepping 3 etc.

A Pentium 3 is an i686.

> I checked the relevant web site published by Mandriver.
> They say release 2006 is Ok for Pentiums but not for 486, 386 etc. They expressly
> mention Pentum 4, 5 etc. But not Pentium 1, 2 or 3 (mine). So I find this a bit
> ambiguous if not confusing.

You're safe.

> Does anybody know about these things?
>
> PS
> Incidentally, I tried initially to upgrade to Mandriver 2006 from Mandrake 10.1. This
> had even more problems than my installation.

I installed from scratch (since my /home is NFS mounted its no big deal) and
the only real issue Im having is getting Xinerama to work. So far Ive had no
probs with the newer versions of stuff spitting about the older configs etc in
my home directory.

Its also a hell of a lot quicker - Im pretty impressed so far. Booting is
especially improved.

--
Simon Scott
simon at chrome64.org