[plug] 80,000 pc's migrated to linux in a weekend.

Ashley Jennings fooscope at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 18:43:50 WST 2005

I've been following this and reading up on the www.linex.org site.
Haven't found any details about how day to day usage is going and
would also be interested in this info.

gnuLinEx[1] is the Debian based distro they used for the rollout.
Richard Stallman helped the government of Extremadura set up the
project[2]. gnuLinEx was RMS' recommended distro until he found out
they include non free(proprietary) software.  He now recommends
Ututo[3] which is a Gentoo based distro from Argentina committed to
only including free software.

Even Debian is off his recommendation list, because although the
Debian main section is all free software, non free software is
distributed by Debian under the non-free section.(It is easy enough to
omit non-free from an /etc/apt/sources.list though)  RMS' views may
seem harsh about only supporting free software distros but he did
invent free software[4] and it seems he still believes in it pretty
strongly :-)

Bdale's keynote at LCA2004[5] contained some info about the
Extremadura rollout too. If you want to save the 350MB download, I'll
be bringing the LCA DVD(under a CC share-alike licence) which contains
this movie to the PLUG workshop on the 28th. If anyone else is
interested in copies I can do a burn run of a few beforehand.

Ashley
http://gumnut.sf.net

FYI  I run Debian GNU/Linux Sarge with only free software sources from
main which provides all the tools I need in an OS.
I also enjoyed travelling through Extremadura, it is very similar to
the South West wheatbelt. Eucalyptus trees, hot open plains and local
pubs with ice cold beer on tap. The bar snacks are delicious olives on
a plate instead of peanuts :-)

[1]English section of the www.linex.org site:
http://www.linex.org/linex2/linex/ingles/index_ing.html

[2] RMS doing his thing in Extremadura
http://www.stallman.org/photos/espana/pages/2.html

[3] Ututo site
http://e.ututo.org.ar/

[4] Initial GNU announcement 1983
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/initial-announcement.html

[5]Bdale's keynote speech at LCA2004 in Adelaide
http://www.linux.org.au/conf/2004/eventrecord/LCA2004-dvd/keynotes/LCA04_Keynote_BDale.mov