[plug] xorg modules now .so?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Nov 21 22:15:18 WST 2005

Carl Gherardi wrote:

> My understatnding was the major vendors were driving the splitup to
> improve the speed of driver and bugfix releases and lower download times.
>
> LWN.net had a good article on this with major motivations not long
> after the first or second major release of xorg.

That's something different - I think you're referring to the 'modular X
server', ie an X11 distribution where Xterm, the core X server, driver
modules, Xt, and so on can each be built, distributed and updated
separately. That'd fit with your (quoted above) comments. The discussion
was about driver modules, though - a change in driver module format is
probably not going to be related to a split-up of the X11 distribution.

--
Craig Ringer