[plug] Automated Domain/Mail/Log/Apache setup Script

Shannon Carver Shannon.Carver at P-S-T.COM.AU
Tue Nov 22 11:48:59 WST 2005

Yeah thanks, I thought this might be the case! I'll probably have a go
at writing one this afternoon.

Shannon

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces at plug.org.au [mailto:plug-bounces at plug.org.au] On
Behalf Of Tomasz Grzegurzko
Sent: Tuesday, 22 November 2005 11:45 AM
To: plug at plug.org.au
Subject: Re: [plug] Automated Domain/Mail/Log/Apache setup Script

Quoting Shannon Carver <Shannon.Carver at P-S-T.COM.AU>:

> Hi Guys,
>

> As our company's slowly grown from just occasionally adding
> domains/mail/www services (I didn't mind doing this all buy hand), to
> more than one a day, its becoming a very time consuming job firstly
> setting up the dns, then apache, then the mail for that domain and its
> sub domains.
>

> Now, a bit of background, I used to work at an ISP, and we had an
> automated script, that'd create base dns information for bind, another
> virtual host directive for apache, and add the new domains to our
> server.  Does anyone know of any packages that can do this, or
something
> similar?
>

> I realise that this is a completely subjective thing, as a script
> written for debian isn't necessarily going to work with a fedora
server,
> as well as differing mail setups, and config directories causing
> problems in the same way.
>

> Is there any thing anyone's used before, or am I best to quickly make
> one up for this system?
>

> Regards
>

> Shannon Carver

I wrote a custom one for our own web server thingo (very similar to what
you
describe). I lost the scripts after the hdd died (otherwise I'd hand
them over
-- written for a Gentoo box though!); but it took all of ~30 minutes to
write
after I identified the tasks that needed doing and made a few templates
(DNS in
particular).

I just wrote them up in bash..

If there are packages, I don't know of any but if you know a little bash
then it
should be fairly straightforward...

Tomasz
PLUG discussion list: plug at plug.org.au