[plug] Linux Desktop Market, office interoperability

Kirk Turner gameldar at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 12:53:53 WST 2005

>> Microsoft has publicly stated that it does not plan to support
>> OpenDocument. Its stated rationale is that OpenDocument is missing
>> some important functionality. Many are very sceptical of this claim

An interesting followup to this thread:

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+to+standardize+Office+formats/2100-1012_3-5965443.html

"Microsoft intends to submit file formats for its new Office 12
applications to the European standards body ECMA International. The
company hopes this will allay concern about its level of control over
document formats."

There was another link I was reading before that claimed that MS
Office would win out on a features basis on other office products
(Google news changes too quickly).

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out in the future.

Kirk