[plug] Hedzup for LCA2008 or LCA2009

Kai vk6ksj at westnet.com.au
Tue Nov 22 22:22:17 WST 2005

skribe wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:22, Kai wrote:
>

>>Linux counter has 0 listed but I know there's interest from our local IT
>>group because we're discussing it every other week at our meetings
>>(read: go to a cafe' or one of the members houses for coffee, cake and
>>chat) and often trying different distro's when we go to one of the
>>members houses for our "meetings", the head IT lecturer at TAFE is
>>interested and the other lecturers at TAFE (who are mostly Windows
>>admins from the High School) who have been watching my student playing
>>with his FC4 server and they're surprised at how easy and cheap it is to
>>do stuff on Linux...last week I gave away copies of Xandros and Ubuntu
>>to a few interested people and the feedback has been positive, like "I
>>didn't know you could do THAT with Linux !"
>

> It's great that you're doing that, and that linux is getting that sort of
> reception there.  I daresay that there are a lot of geeks located n other
> provincial centres that could make similar claims.  I have still yet to hear
> an answer for 'why Broome?'.  Albany, Bunbury or Kalgoolie would imho have
> better claims for holding an lca.

There probably are geeks in other towns that are doing the same
thing...but we're a pretty remote town, closest town to the North East
is Derby @ 200k's by road and the closest town South/South West is
Hedland @ 600k's by road.

Why not Broome ? it'd be something different from having it in the south
of the state

In the wet season:
- Nice, warm and humid all day ~25 at night and ~33 during the day
- If you come during wet season you can expererience what's supposed to
be daily evening thunderstorms, possibly see some monsoonal downpoars
that are so loud you can't hear yourself think and then go look at local
flooding and see water's art the next day
- Watch a movie at Sun Pictures, our open air theatre, and have the
surreal effect of a thunderstorm in the movie combined with a
thunderstorm in real life...and then a commercial passenger flight
rumbles as it comes straight over your head to land at the airport a few
hundred metres away
- Maybe lucky enough to see a good lightning storm or three...and if
you're really lucky you can come for a drive with me while I go chase it
and try to get some photo's
- See some of the spectacular sunsets we have in the wet season
- Have Cable Beach all to yourself 'cause all the tourists have gone home
- Take a ride on the cable beach camel train, hovercraft tours or any
one of the fishing charter boats
- experience tides with up to 10 metres of verticle height difference
(http://www.vk6ksj.net/gallery/comparisons260305/)
- see the staircase to the moon

In the dry season:
- Cold at night (~14 degrees) and mildly warm by day (~28 degrees)
- Wall to wall blue skies
- Beautiful sunsets over mirror flat water where you can see the bottom
for aaaages
- See some of the spectacular sunsets we have in the dry season
(http://www.vk6ksj.net/gallery/2005_06_24-F80_stm/ss001_r)
- stargazing at night, especially with a new moon, stars are brighter
than you'll ever see them in Perth or any other city
- experience tides with up to 10 metres of verticle height difference
- see the staircase to the moon
(http://www.vk6ksj.net/gallery/2005_06_24-F80_stm/ss6_r)
- Watch a movie at Sun Pictures, our open air theatre, and have a
commercial passenger flight rumbling as it comes straight over your head
to land at the airport a few hundred metres away
- go to the crock park, bird observatory or go camping up the peninsular

Have a look at www.broomevisitorcentre.com.au for a heap more stuff to do.

Cheers
Kai