[plug] ubuntu installation fails

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz_g at arach.net.au
Wed Nov 23 12:45:23 WST 2005

Quoting luca at trifelli.id.au:

> I've downloaded the latest ubuntu (5.10) twice and performed a successful
> m5sum check.
> It keeps hanging at 71% of the installation process.
>
> The screen shows the following:
> Installing packages
> Configuring xserver-xorg
>
> The system specifications are:
> AMD-K6(tm)-2/333 CPU
> 256 MB PC100 SDRAM
> DC-390 SCSI Controller (read from the SCSI Setup utility)
> IBM 9GB SCSI HDD
> Legend 3DV+ Graphics card
>
> Is my computer too old for ubuntu 5.10???

I doubt it; I've run it on worse than that. I did notice on a really bad
motherboard I have at home (SiS) that it took *ages* to get past that point. I
left it overnight, when I came back it was done...

I'd try flipping consoles and run top or something to see what its doing. As
long as the system isn't hard locked, its probably still working..