[plug] Hedzup for LCA2008 or LCA2009

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Fri Nov 25 10:50:10 WST 2005

On Tuesday 22 November 2005 16:04, skribe wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:45, Alex Polglaze wrote:
>> I haven't seen a valid reason here for not considering Broome even
>> in Cyclone season.

> I can think of four:

> Low number of linux using locals - the linux counter has 0 listed.

There's at least one out of 15,000 -- which probably compares favourably
with Perth.

> High cost of travel to the event.

Still signficantly cheaper than the forthcoming one.

> High cost of accommodation.

Some hard data would be good.

> Linux geeks in speedos.

Sunnies. Very dark ones. Welding sunnies?

> Apart from beautiful scenery are there any reasons for holding the
> event in Broome?

It's not cold. It's not in a capital city. The fishing's great. It's not
far from attractions like Horizontal Falls. It's a very casual place.
It has a runway capable of taking moderately large jetliners.

A genuine downside would be lack of accomodation or a venue. While
Broome has coped with ~30,000 guests (and I have a friend up there who
rents out three caravans in "overflow" season), finding ~500 quality
rooms may be a bit problematic, as might finding a single _enclosed_
venue to seat them all in. Kai might be able to make some real
suggestions.

OTGH, I can't imagine anything better calculated to incite envy in
northern-hemisphere geeks in January than shots of a crowd in front of
a projector screen set up on Cable Beach (we could even use a ballasted
wooden stand sitting _in_ the wash of the waves to labour the point)
with the glowing embers of a glorious sunset fading stage left.

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia