[plug] SuSE

Evert van Dijk evert at silver-sword.net
Fri Nov 25 19:55:49 WST 2005

Richard Meyer wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 09:21 +0800, Denis Brown wrote:

>> Nice to know there are a few other SuSE-ers on the list :-)    Am about to
>> set up SuSE Enterprise 9 with paid support on an IBM x346.   I'd normally
>> be happy with Debian or Gentoo but it will be a production server, IBM is
>> happy with SuSE and at least one of my technically-aware users here on the
>> system-to-be also shows private interest in SuSE.
>>
>> I'd be very happy (off list) to know of other SuSE PLUG users with a view
>> to keeping in touch for SuSE-specific technical matters.
>>
>> TIA,
>> Denis
>>
> I've been using (mostly) SuSE since version 5.x, IIRC. I like it, but
> it's probably no better/worse for a n00b than any of the "unholy
> commercial triumvirate" of SuSE/RedHat/Mandrake. (Now that RedHat has
> spun out Fedora, things may be different).
>
> One irritation is having to download your own versions of
> xine/xmms/mplayer because they're chicken to play DVDs and mp3s. These
> usually get b0rked when upgrading.

I found that adding Packman to your Installation Source
Yast -> Software -> Installation Source
Server Name: 		packman.rsync.zmi.at
Directory on Server: 	/suse/10.0
Authentication:		Anonymous

To be ONE way to activate working Kaffeine support.
Ofcourse the standard disclaimers apply, only install from trusted
sources, use at your own risk etc