[plug] choosing a motherboard for Linux - does it matter?

Mike Holland myk.list at westnet.com.au
Mon Nov 28 18:17:00 WST 2005

   This should be a FAQ, but given how little recent info I found on the
web, should I assume it doesn't matter much?   Are there any special
considerations for Linux?
   Does the motherboard brand matter (for Linux), or is it just the
chipset that counts?
   Are some chipsets better for suspend-to-RAM, or -to-disk ?

Nvidia seem to provide good Linux support. Is nForce-4 a reasonable
choice?  e.g. Abit NV8 (PCI-E, Gb-ether )
Any reason to choose nForce-3 instead?   (AGP)

Mike.