[plug] Xen

Evert van Dijk evert at silver-sword.net
Tue Nov 29 23:07:35 WST 2005

Timothy White wrote:
> Ok, so I want to play with bleedin edge stuff. So let me!
>
> Anyone here had success in getting Xen  (unstable) running on a amd64?
> (Or at all?)
>
> If so, does it have to use a 2.6.12 kernel, or can we use a 2.6.14?
>
> And how!?!? I'm having no end of trouble, make world seems to be
> dieing, cause it can't patch something properly :-(
>
> Tim
> --
> Linux Counter user #273956

My best information says that Xen will not run on the x86/64
architecture at this time. One of the reasons I went back to a 32 bit
arc, that and Flash and Mozilla Calendar and Cedega and .... well you
get the idea.
You might want to have a look at Qemu http://qemu.org/

Good Luck

from http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenFaq
1.6. Which architectures does Xen support?

Xen currently runs only on the x86 architecture, requiring a "P6" or
newer processor (that's any Intel or AMD x86 CPU purchased in the last
five years). Multiprocessor machines are supported, including basic
support for Hyper-Threading (SMT). A port specifically for x86/64 is in
progress, although Xen already runs on such systems in 32-bit legacy
mode. In addition a port to the IA64 architecture is approaching
completion. We hope to add other architectures such as PPC and ARM in
due course.