[plug] Setting up kppp in Fedora Core for normal users to access...

Daniel J. Axtens danielax at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 14:44:54 WST 2005

Sorry for the late response; I've been on holiday and came back to a
pile of unread messages.

> I had a look at the manual, and it says that if you create a
> file /etc/kppp.allow and on seperate lines enter the usernames of the
> users you want to be able to run kppp, then it should allow you [as a
> normal user] to connect.  However, I've not had any luck with this - it
> is still asking me for the root password.

You might need to make kppp suid root. This is somewhat insecure, but
will allow anyone to dial up.

Use the following command, assuming kppp is at /usr/bin/kppp, and you are root.

chmod +s /usr/bin/kppp

HTH,
Daniel Axtens

--
Neuronstorm: neuronstorm.sourceforge.net
The Neuronstorm Blog: leinad-golb.blogspot.com